Supporting international student employability in NSW
22 January 2019
The NSW Government, through a Study NSW Partner Project grant has supported an initiative that will improve the employability skills of 500 international students.
Whether they are seeking part-time or full-time work, a work placement while completing their studies, or are looking to secure their first graduate position, the Study NSW Employability Training Course has been carefully tailored to help students improve their ability to secure employment.
Managing Director of Successful Graduate Pty Ltd, Mr Gordon Scott said, “Regardless of whether international students are studying in Sydney, regional NSW or in an overseas campus of a NSW institution, all NSW international students can now access online training which will teach them how to prepare a job application”.
The Partner Project, aptly entitled ‘Bridging the Gap: Employability Skills for International Students in NSW’ is a consortium approach that is financially supported by the NSW Government aimed at improving the graduate success of international students at six education institutions across NSW. Project Partners include Successful Graduate, Edified Education, University of New England, Southern Cross University, Western Sydney University, the University of Newcastle, UNSW Global and Times Academy.
Seen as a positive move to support graduate workforce retention, the project has been designed to support international students in regional locations and Sydney alike.
Minister for Trade and Industry Niall Blair MLC said it is important that international students located across the State have access to tools that will improve their access to employment post-studies.
“By supporting Partner Projects such as this the Government is sending a strong message that NSW is committed to enhancing the experience of international students.”
The objectives of the project are to:
- Provide scalability and support to existing careers-oriented initiatives at institutions across NSW for earlier engagement and more effective interaction between international students and their Careers offices
- Improve the employability of 500 international students in NSW
- Support the regional delivery of international education in NSW
- Embrace the use of a technology-enabled model to deliver employability support across a large geographic area and maximise NSW strengths in providing flexible delivery of training
- Improve the experience of 500 international students in NSW
- Support the competitiveness of international education in NSW
- Understand the needs of international students across NSW
The project will deliver a bespoke and scalable online employability training program, initially providing training to 500 international students across six institutions (including both city and regional institutions). The training will focus upon the needs of selected cohorts and deliver online training for students that will improve international students': employability skills such as: self-awareness and understanding, ability to market themselves, develop individual resumes, selection criteria responses, improve written job application techniques, develop professional LinkedIn profiles, improve interview techniques, develop job offer negotiation skills, and prepare graduates for their first days at work.
The training modules can be accessed via www.studynsw.successfulgraduate.com
Enquiries: Gordon Scott, Successful Graduate, 0417 600 290