Government Financial Support


Study NSW has prepared the following resources to assist international students during the COVID-19 pandemic

Financial support from Australian Government and NSW Government

International students may be eligible for support from the Australian Government and NSW Government including:

Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment - New South Wales

The Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment is for people living in New South Wales who can't earn an income because they must self-isolate, quarantine or care for someone who has COVID-19. You must be directed to self-isolate or quarantine by NSW Health. Changes to the Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment apply at the 70% and 80% vaccination rate in each state and territory.

Note: Temporary Visa Holders will need to call Services Australia to create a Centrelink Customer Reference to see if they’re eligible for either of the above payments.

COVID-19 Disaster Payment

A support payment for workers adversely affected by a state public health order. This is a lump sum payment to help workers unable to earn income due to a COVID-19 lockdown, hotspot or period of restricted movement. Changes to the COVID-19 Disaster Payment apply at the 70% and 80% vaccination rate in each state and territory.

Extreme Support Hardship  Payment - NSW

Emergency relief is to help people meet their basic needs, like food, medicine or shelter. Australian Red Cross has received NSW Government funding specifically to support people who do not have access to Commonwealth income support. The support is for temporary and provisional visa holders, as well as people who may not currently hold a valid visa, in extreme financial hardship. Emergency relief payments are not income support. They are limited and we know may not meet all your needs.

Other financial support for individuals and households

The NSW Government and the Australian Government provide financial assistance and support if you have been impacted by COVID-19 and you are experiencing financial difficulty.

The Residential Tenancy Support Package

Available to eligible COVID-19 impacted tenants and consists of a 60-day freeze on evictions and assistance for landlords who reduce rent.

Energy Accounts Payment Assistance

If you're having difficulty paying your current household energy bill because of a short-term financial crisis or emergency, such as unexpected medical bills, or reduced income due to COVID-19, you could be eligible for Energy Accounts Payment Assistance (EAPA) $50 vouchers.

Test and Isolate Support Payment

from NSW Government. With COVID-19 in our community it is critical that anyone with symptoms, even if mild, self-isolates, gets tested immediately, and importantly does not go to work. If you need to self-isolate and are unable to work while waiting for your coronavirus (COVID-19) test result, you may be eligible for the COVID-19 Test and Isolate support payment.

Support services available for international students


Gov support

Food 2


mental health 2