Feel at home in NSW

When you are studying, it is important to have a good home base where you feel safe and relaxed. There are many accommodation options for international students in NSW.

Accommodation details

How to choose where to live

When choosing accommodation, the most important thing is to feel secure and happy, so you can focus on your studies and enjoy life. It is a good idea to research all your options before making a decision.

Accommodation costs

The average rent for a one-bedroom apartment in the city centre is currently around A$1,776 a month, and outside of the city around A$1,300 per month. This varies depending on which NSW city or region you are studying in. The Commonwealth Government provides a breakdown of average Australian accommodation costs for international students here.

Student Accommodation Association

The Student Accommodation Association (SAA) is a national body representing education providers and student accommodation operators who manage student accommodation under the following categories:

  • University managed
  • Commercial Purpose Built
  • Residential Colleges
  • Student Hostels
  • Commercially Managed Student Housing Portfolio’s

SAA member properties offer:

  • An exclusive student residential environment
  • 24/7 access to professional student accommodation management teams
  • Fully furnished housing
  • Accommodation contracts which comply with local law and regulations

For more information, visit the Student Accommodation Association (SAA) website

Student Accommodation Association

Student accommodation

Types of Accommodation

Halls of residence or colleges

On-campus accommodation owned by your school or university. Contact your school or university for more information.

Private student accommodation

Purpose-built student accommodation either on-campus or within walking distance of your school. For more information visit:

Private accommodation

You rent a house or apartment from a real estate agent or private landlord. For a listing of real estate agents visit:

Youth Hostels

Hostels in Sydney and NSW offer cheap, short term accommodation. Most have a mix of private rooms and dormitory accommodation. For more information visit:

Finding a room mate

If you want assistance in finding a room mate, visit:

Boarding schools

For students up to the age of 18, some primary and high schools offer accommodation at school. Contact your school for more information.

Questions to ask yourself

If you have any questions, you can contact your education provider and speak to their international student support team. Alternatively, visit Tenants NSW for tips and advice on renting in NSW. Multilingual factsheets are also available.

  • What is included in the cost – for example, utility bills, telephone, internet?
  • What are my rights and responsibilities as a tenant?
  • What public transport options are available?
  • How close is the accommodation to where I am studying?
  • How safe do I feel in the area?
  • Is the area quiet enough for sleeping and studying?
  • How many others am I sharing with? What are they like?
  • Am I comfortable sharing with people of a different gender?
  • Is the accommodation furnished or unfurnished?
  • Does the accommodation include food or meal plans?

Accommodation tips


Do not leave it to the last minute

Start making accommodation plans as soon as you receive an acceptance letter from your school, college or university.


Ask advice

If you are looking for private accommodation, check with your educational institution, which will most likely have lists of accommodation options in your area.


Get online

Check out websites such as and to find local share houses and apartments.


Know your rights

Check out the range of tenant fact sheets available at Tenants NSW.


Carefully read your contract or lease

Understanding your accommodation contract or lease is important – take the time to read the document or ask someone at your educational institution to double-check it.


Keep an eye on costs

Ensure you fully understand what additional expenses are incurred on top of your deposit and rent, what is included and what is not included.


Check your inventory or condition report

If you are renting private housing or university-managed property, you will be given a list of the contents of the property (an inventory) and the condition of each item or a condition report which describes the state of the property. This allows you to prove that you did not cause damage, and therefore are entitled to have your deposit returned in full when you move out. Be sure you understand what you are signing and agreeing to.


Look for cheaper alternatives for household items

In Australia,second-hand and pre-loved markets and rental schemes can offer good alternatives to buying new things such as refrigerators, washing machines and furniture, which usually aren't included with accommodation.

Share accommodation tips

City of Sydney logo

City of Sydney council has some great tips on what to look for in share accommodation.