Maintaining your wellbeing

As a student, it's important to look after your health so you can enjoy student life. This section explains a little more about health and wellness in New South Wales for international students.

Health insurance

International students undertaking formal studies in Australia must obtain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). This insurance usually includes cover for:

  • Visits to the doctor
  • Some hospital treatment
  • Ambulance cover
  • Limited pharmaceuticals (medicines).

There are five providers of Overseas Student Health Cover in Australia. They are:

If you want to find information on general treatment cover with any Australian private health insurer, visit or iSelect.

Take a look at these frequently asked questions about international student healthcare. 

Private Health Insurance Ombudsman (PHIO)
PHIO deals with complaints from the private health sector. Call 1300 362 072 or visit the Commonwealth Ombudsman website to find out more.

You can find more information, including average costs, on the Department of Health website.

Dentists, optometrists and other health services

You'll find most locations in NSW offer a comprehensive range of health services close to or at your educational institution.

Doctors (GP)

Many educational institutions have an on-campus medical centre that provides a full 'bulk-billing' GP (General Practitioner) service for students. This means that the cost of your appointment will be passed on to your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) provider, or you can pay it up front and your provider will reimburse you. You can also visit regular medical centres and make an appointment; some will require you to register with the medical centre, while others have a 'walk in' service.

Mental and Sexual Health

Your educational institution may provide counselling services, and if not you'll find many private local counsellors by searching online. Counsellors can help with issues such as anxiety, stress and depression, balancing work and study, family and relationship difficulties, financial issues, sexual problems and identity issues.

Counselling can also help with adjusting to a new culture, dealing with dilemmas, grief, making difficult decisions, as well as more specific issues such as eating problems, dealing with a chronic illness, responses to trauma, or addictions.

Useful links include:


Call 13 11 14 to access 24 hour crisis support and suicide prevention services. Visit the Lifeline website to find out more. 


Call 1300 22 4636 to get 24 hour support for mental health issues including anxiety, depression and suicide. You can also get support through web chat, email and an online forum on the beyondblue website.

Kids Helpline

Call 1800 551 800 if you would like to talk about feelings you have about your studies and personal relationships. This service is targeted at people aged between 5 and 25 years. Visit the Kids Helpline website to find out more. 

Play Safe Online Discussion Forum

This NSW Health forum is a space for young people to talk about sex and relationships anonymously online. Visit the Play Safe website for more information.

Take a look at these tips for curing homesickness.