How to apply

Studying in NSW

The Australian Government Department of Home Affairs has responsibility for matters relating to student visas. Their Studying in Australia web page contains all of the necessary visa information for students who are considering studying in Australia.

Follow these steps



Check that you meet the Australian Government's student visa requirements.



Request or download the application form from your chosen institution.



Confirm which course you want to study. (You will also be asked for your second and third preference of course at your chosen institution.)



Submit your application either online or by mail.



Submit copies of the following documents translated into English:

  • Certificates to show your previous study and qualifications
  • Evidence of your English language proficiency (IELTS, TOEFL, or OEF tests)
  • Proof of previous study or work experience (if you are seeking course credits)
  • Any other documentation asked for by the institution.

How your application is processed

Each institution assesses applications differently. You may be able to check the progress of your application online or by phoning the international admissions office of the educational institution.

If your application is successful, you will receive a 'Letter of Offer' that you must respond to by signing and returning to the institution (via mail or online).

When your signed reply is received, you will be sent an 'Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment' (eCoE) by email. This will outline your course start date, duration and fee.

Please note: You cannot be granted a student visa without an eCoE.

After you formally accept and confirm your enrolment, you will receive an information package. This will tell you:

  • When to arrive
  • What to bring
  • Arrangements for your welcome
  • Accommodation options
  • Information about important events, such as orientation and enrolment.

When to apply for your student visa

If you are accepted onto your chosen course, you will need to apply for your student visa. To apply for a visa to study in Australia, you must first be enrolled on a full-time course.

If you have any further questions about the application process, we recommend contacting the educational institution.